Best Strain for First Time Grower
Are you a first-time grower looking to start your cannabis cultivation journey? With so many strains to choose from, it can be overwhelming to pick the right one. To make things easier for you, we have compiled a list of the best strain for first time growers. These strains are easy to grow, resilient, and produce high yields, making them perfect for novice cultivators.
Table of Contents:
- Durban Poison
- Strawberry Cough
- Purple Urkle
- Blue Dream
- Best Setup for a First-Time Grower
Durban Poison is a Sativa-dominant strain that originates from South Africa. It’s known for its uplifting, energetic effects and sweet, spicy flavor profile. Durban Poison is also a relatively easy strain to grow, making it a great choice for first-time growers.
Growing tips for Durban Poison Seeds:
- Choose a well-draining soil mix that’s high in perlite or vermiculite. Durban Poison prefers a slightly acidic soil pH of around 6.0-6.5.
- Durban Poison thrives in warm, sunny environments with daytime temperatures between 70-85°F. Keep the humidity levels around 40-60%.
- Durban Poison has a relatively short flowering time of 8-10 weeks. However, it can grow quite tall and lanky, so it’s important to provide support such as trellising or staking.
- Durban Poison responds well to regular topping and training techniques, which can help promote bushier growth and increase yields.
- Be sure to monitor for pests and diseases, as Durban Poison is susceptible to spider mites, thrips, and powdery mildew. Use organic pest control methods such as neem oil or insecticidal soap to protect your plants.
|Durban Poison Terpenes||Flavor/Smell Description||Percentage (in essential oil)|
Strawberry Cough is a Sativa-dominant strain that is popular for its sweet and fruity aroma and flavor. It is an easy strain to grow and is great for first-time growers. Here are some growing tips:
- Climate: Strawberry Cough thrives in a warm and dry climate. It is important to maintain a temperature of around 70-80°F (21-27°C) and a humidity level of 40-50% during the vegetative stage. During flowering, the humidity level should be lowered to 30-40% to prevent mold growth.
- Soil: This strain can be grown in both soil and hydroponic systems, but it does well in a well-draining, nutrient-rich soil with a pH level between 6.0 and 6.5. Organic soil is a great choice for Strawberry Cough.
- Lighting: This strain needs a lot of light to grow well. It is recommended to use high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps or LED grow lights to ensure that the plants receive enough light.
- Feeding: Strawberry Cough requires regular feeding with balanced nutrients. During the vegetative stage, it is recommended to use a nitrogen-rich fertilizer. During flowering, a phosphorus-rich fertilizer will help to promote bud growth.
- Training: This strain responds well to training techniques like topping and low-stress training (LST). Topping will help to promote bushier growth and increase yield, while LST will help to create an even canopy and increase light penetration.
Overall, Strawberry Cough is a great strain for first-time growers due to its ease of growth and resistance to common pests and diseases. It has a relatively short flowering time of 8-9 weeks and can yield up to 14 ounces per square meter indoors.
|Strawberry Cough Terpenes||Flavor/Smell Description||Percentage|
Purple Urkle is a popular indica strain known for its deep, relaxing effects and distinctive grape flavor. This strain is relatively easy to grow, making it a great choice for first-time growers. Here are some strain-specific growing tips:
- Purple Urkle tends to grow short and bushy, making it a good choice for indoor growing or small outdoor spaces.
- Keep an eye on the temperature and humidity levels, as this strain prefers a slightly cooler and drier environment than some other strains.
- Use nutrient-rich soil and consider supplementing with phosphorus and potassium during the flowering stage to encourage bud development.
- Be patient with the flowering time, as Purple Urkle can take up to 9 weeks to fully mature.
- Harvest the buds when the pistils have turned brown and about 70-80% of the trichomes are cloudy for the most potent and flavorful results.
Overall, Purple Urkle is a great strain for first-time growers who want a relatively easy-to-grow plant with a delicious grape flavor and relaxing effects.
|Purple Urkle Terpenes||Flavor/Smell Description||Percentage|
Zkittlez is an indica-dominant hybrid with a fruity, sweet flavor that resembles its namesake candy. It has a moderate THC level of 20-28%, making it a great option for novice growers. Here are some strain-specific tips for growing Zkittlez:
- Climate: Zkittlez prefers a warm and dry climate. It can be grown indoors or outdoors, but if you’re growing outdoors, make sure to avoid high humidity levels that can lead to mold growth.
- Soil: Use well-draining soil with a slightly acidic pH level (around 6.0-6.5) and add organic matter to improve soil structure and nutrient availability.
- Feeding: Zkittlez is not a heavy feeder, so avoid over-fertilization. Use a balanced nutrient mix during the vegetative stage, and switch to a bloom-specific nutrient during flowering.
- Training: Zkittlez grows short and bushy, making it a good candidate for low-stress training techniques like topping, pruning, and trellising to improve light penetration and maximize yield.
- Harvest: Zkittlez has a flowering time of 7-9 weeks, and you can expect a moderate yield of dense, resinous buds with a sweet aroma. Harvest when the trichomes are cloudy and amber in color for the best effects.
|Zkittlez Terpenes||Flavor/Smell Description||Percentage|
Blue Dream is a hybrid strain that is a great option for first-time growers due to its easy cultivation and high yield. Its flowering time is about 9-10 weeks, and it grows well both indoors and outdoors. Here are some strain-specific tips to help you grow the best Blue Dream:
- Soil: Blue Dream grows best in well-draining soil with a pH range of 6.0-7.5.
- Light: This strain thrives in bright light, but make sure to keep the temperature below 80°F (27°C) to prevent heat stress.
- Watering: Water your Blue Dream plants when the soil is dry to the touch, but don’t overwater as it can cause root rot.
- Pruning: Blue Dream has a tendency to grow tall, so pruning the top can help to control its height and increase yield.
- Nutrients: During the vegetative stage, Blue Dream prefers higher levels of nitrogen. During flowering, switch to a nutrient formula with higher levels of phosphorus and potassium to encourage bud growth.
With proper care and attention, your Blue Dream plants will produce a bountiful harvest of sweet, fruity buds that are perfect for relaxing and unwinding.
|Blue Dream Terpenes||Flavor/Smell Description||Percentage (in essential oil)|
Best Setup for First Time Growers
Growing cannabis can be an enjoyable and rewarding hobby, and with the increasing availability of seeds and equipment, it’s becoming easier and more accessible than ever. If you’re a first-time grower, it’s important to start with a solid setup that can provide your plants with the ideal conditions for growth and development. Here’s a guide to the tools and equipment you’ll need, as well as some tips on how to set up your grow space for success.
- Grow Tent/Room
The first step in setting up your grow space is to select a suitable location. You’ll need a dedicated space that can be easily accessed and monitored, and that provides adequate space and ventilation for your plants. A grow tent is a popular choice for first-time growers, as it provides a controlled and customizable environment that can be easily assembled and disassembled. Alternatively, you can convert a spare room or closet into a grow space, but you’ll need to ensure that it can be sealed off from external light and that it provides adequate ventilation.
- Grow Light
Once you’ve selected your grow space, you’ll need to invest in a high-quality grow light that can provide your plants with the right spectrum of light for each stage of growth. LED grow lights are a popular choice for their efficiency and low heat output, but they can be expensive. Alternatively, fluorescent and HID (High-Intensity Discharge) lights are also effective, but they require more energy and can generate more heat.
Proper ventilation is crucial for ensuring healthy plant growth and preventing mold and mildew. You’ll need to install a fan or air conditioner that can circulate fresh air into your grow space and remove excess heat and humidity. A carbon filter can also be used to eliminate unwanted odors and pollutants.
- Grow Medium
Your choice of grow medium will depend on your growing style and preferences. Soil is a popular choice for its simplicity and natural nutrients, but it can be messy and require more frequent watering. Hydroponic systems, on the other hand, use a water-based solution that is recirculated through the roots, providing more control and faster growth. Other options include coco coir, perlite, and vermiculite.
Finally, you’ll need to invest in high-quality nutrients that can provide your plants with the essential elements for growth and development. You can purchase pre-mixed nutrient solutions that are tailored to specific stages of growth, or you can mix your own using organic ingredients such as compost, bone meal, and worm castings.
Setting up your grow space can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it’s important to do your research and invest in quality equipment that can provide your plants with the ideal growing conditions. With the right tools and a little bit of patience, you’ll be able to harvest your first crop of high-quality cannabis in no time.